Steps to credit registration

Registration Steps

If I am a ...
New Degree-Seeking Student Continuing Student Readmit Student previously enrolled but have not attended since Fall 2017 Non-Degree-Seeking or Visiting Student
I need to:

File and application for admission or re-admission and complete the admission process


Complete Assessment Testing or apply for a waiver


Provide proof of Immunization if I plan to register for 6 or more credits

Clear any holds
Attend a New Start session
Attend a Restart Session (only for readmitted students on academic probation)
Meet with an academic advisor for program approval

Register for classes during the registration period

Provide proof of residency (a new form must be submitted annually)
Complete payment or finalize payment arrangements

New Student: a degree-seeking student who has applied and been admitted to the College in an approved degree or certificate program

Continuing Student: a degree-seeking student who was enrolled last semester in an approved degree or certificate program

Readmit Student: a degree-seeking student who is returning to an approved degree or certificate program after an absence of two or more semesters (someone who has not attended since Fall 2017)

Visiting Student: a student currently enrolled at another college or university. Visiting students planning to transfer credit to their home institution should seek approval from their school before registering.

Non-Degree-Seeking Student: a student who has received a high school diploma or GED but has not applied or been admitted to an approved degree or certificate program at the College. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid and are limited to a cumulative enrollment of 11.5 credits.

Two Ways to Register


Currently Enrolled DEGREE-SEEKING (Matriculated) and Readmitted Students:

Bring signed, completed Credit Registration Form to Student Services Central. (Registrar Forms)

If required, bring a Verification of Residence Form to Student Services Central. (Residence Forms)

New DEGREE-SEEKING (Matriculated) Students:

Submit Immunization Form to the Wellness Center. (Immunization Forms)

Bring signed, completed Credit Registration Form to the Student Services Central. (Registrar Forms)

Bring Verification of Residence Form to Student Services Central. (Residence Forms)


If new, and registering for 6 or more credits, submit Immunization Form to the Health Services Office. (Immunization Forms)

Bring completed Credit Registration Form to Student Services Central. (Registrar Forms)

If required, bring Verification of Residence Form to Bursar Office. (Residence Forms)

Students meeting specific institutional criteria may register on-line though Self-Service Banner. These students, when they meet with their advisor, are given a registration PIN#, and as long as they have no holds preventing registration, can register via the web.

Click here for instructions on how to register on-line


What must I do to register for credit courses at SUNY Orange?



A matriculated student has been accepted for admission to the College in an approved degree or certificate program and is eligible to apply for financial aid. Matriculation is mandatory once a student has completed 11.5 credits. Students who want to or who must matriculate should:

Begin with Step 1



A non-matriculated student has received a high school diploma or GED but has not applied or been accepted for admission to the college. Courses taken while non-matriculated may later count toward a degree, however, the student will not be eligible for financial aid as non-matriculated.

Begin with Step 3


Admission A student who plans to enroll in an approved degree or certificate program at SUNY Orange must apply and be admitted to the college. Admission is open to all applicants who are graduates of an accredited high school or recipients of a state high school equivalency diploma. Students without a high school or equivalency diploma may qualify for Admission into the 24 credit hour program or can apply to take their G.E.D. through the Office of Continuing and Professional Education.

Readmission is for former SUNY Orange students who have not attended for one semester or longer.

For applications or information about the 24 College Credit Hour Program contact the Admissions Office at (845) 341-4030.

First-time degree-seeking students participate in a required Course Placement Test to determine skill levels in reading, writing, and mathematics. All students taking the Course Placement Test are required to pay a $25 non-refundable fee prior to taking the test. If the student enrolls at SUNY Orange, payment of this fee can be applied toward tuition. Transfer students who have successfully completed a college level English or Math course with a C (2.0) or better may apply for a waiver of Assessment. Waiver of the Course Placement Test does not guarantee transferability of the credits.

For further information on dates and times of the Course Placement Test and/or to apply for a waiver of assessment, please contact the Admissions Office at (845) 341-4030.

Note: Students enrolled in the 24 Credit Hour Program who are seeking financial aid are required to take this assessment in order to satisfy the Title IV Ability to Benefit requirements.

» Admissions web pages

[ to top ]


A variety of Financial Aid programs are available to qualified degree-seeking (matriculated) students enrolled in approved programs of study. All students requesting aid must complete, on an annual basis, a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Upon submission of a completed FAFSA, a student who is a resident of New York State will receive a pre-printed TAP Application from Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). If the student will be attending full time, this application must be completed and returned to HESC to receive TAP consideration.

To avoid delays and to ensure having the financial aid available to assist with payment of tuition and fees, students should begin the application process by filing the appropriate academic year FAFSA as soon as possible. Students who file this application for the Summer and Fall semesters need not reapply for Spring .

For further information about aid programs, contact the Financial Aid Office at (845)341-4190.

Before any financial aid will be awarded:

Final official high school transcript or GED must be on file with the Admissions Office

» Financial Aid web pages

[ to top ]


New York State Law requires that all students born on or after January 1, 1957 who wish to enroll for six or more credits in any given semester provide proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella.

In addition, all students, regardless of age, must sign and return the Meningitis Response Form. See instructions in this course schedule.

All vaccinations must be with live virus given 1968 and on or after the student's first birthday to be acceptable.

See Immunization Record Form in the printed college course schedule or download it from the schedule on the web site.

For questions about immunization requirements and acceptable documentation contact the Wellness Center at (845) 341-4870.

Immunization records must be on file in Wellness Center prior to registration (Step 4).

[ to top ]


Currently enrolled degree seeking students must meet with and obtain permission (signature) or on-line registration PIN (if applicable) from their assigned advisor to schedule classes each semester. Office hours are posted by each faculty member's office door. Please refer to the steps for in-person and online registration at the Academic Advising website

Priority registration is available for currently enrolled students; check the schedules for each semester for exact available dates.

For students with official majors in the Health Professions and Exercise Studies programs, and students who have completed 30 credits or more, some dates for priority registration are also posted. View registration schedule on the Course Schedules page for listing of dates.

New matriculated students will be invited to early register at a slightly later available date with advising at the Academic Advising office, provided they have been assessed and present proof of immunization; please check the schedules for dates.

Readmitted students can early register with the assistance of their advisor or the Academic Advising Office; please check the schedules for dates.

Non-matriculated students do not need the signature of an advisor and can early register according to the date in the schedule for the semester they wish to register for. Students interested in advisement should contact the Academic Advising office at (845) 341-4070.

Registration for all students is listed in the schedule for each semester.

Late registration for all students continues until a pre-arranged date for each semester, usually through the first week of classes.

For more information regarding registration dates and times, please contact the Registration Office at (845) 341-4140.

[ to top ]


Don't Get Dropped, Protect Your Courses!

Starting with Fall 2017, it is required to make payment arrangements by the deadline or you will be dropped from your upcoming registered courses. Visit the SUNY Orange Student Accounts webpage, and click the "Protect Your Courses" button for more information.

Payment Options include cash, money order, check, or credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or Discover Card), finalized financial aid, third-party contracts, or the payment plan.

Make a Payment on-linemake a payment by credit card or ACH, or set up a Tuition Payment Plan.
**Please note: SUNY Orange does not accept any payments, including credit cards, by telephone.

The Schedule of Tuition and Fees

Residency Information : To qualify for New York State resident tuition rates, a student must have maintained a legal residence in the state for one year and in the county for six months both immediately preceding the day of the semester. Proof of residence is required at the time of registration. An application for Certificate of Residence, along with the instructions for filling it out, can be found in the course schedule publication, or on the Student Accounts web page by clicking the "Residency Information" button.

[ to top ]


A Drop/Add occurs when students who have completed registration make changes to their schedules. For degree-seeking matriculated students, an advisor’s signature is required.

Student may add open semester courses and/or change sections with the signature of an advisor until the deadline published in the semester's course schedule; after that deadline, the instructor’s signature, department chair’s signature and the registrar's signature is also required. Check each schedule for exact date.

Fees may be charged for dropping and adding courses. See the schedule for exact fee amounts.

Students seeking to register for a closed (filled to capacity) class are required to obtain permission from the instructor, the department chair and the registrar.

Students may drop a course by the deadlines listed in the Registration Calendar.

Important: Students who decide not to pay or attend after they have already registered for classes must complete a Drop/Add form and submit it to Student Services Central at the Middletown or Newburgh campus. Students will incur a tuition liability if they fail to withdraw on or before the start date of the semester.

* Students who have unmet financial obligations to the College or who have failed to comply with college requirements, such as proof of immunization, will not be permitted to register, receive or send transcripts, or provide proof of enrollment to other agencies/institutions until the stop/hold is cleared with the issuing office.

[ to top ]