Summer Financial Aid

External links below are marked with this symbol. Clicking on these links will take you out of the SUNY Orange Web site. The college cannot be responsible for the content on these pages, although the links on this page have been reviewed and are recommended by the staff of the Office of Financial Aid.


State and Federal Financial Aid is available during the summer, though requirements differ from the Spring and Fall terms.


Students applying for Federal financial aid for the summer semester 2018 must:

  • complete a "Summer Aid Request Form"
  • and fill out both a 2017-2018 and a 2018-2019 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at
  • If selected for verification, required documentation should be submitted to either the Financial Aid office in Middletown or Newburgh

If you require a more accessible version of the form above, please contact Cherie Wierzbicki-McMickle at (845) 341-4197.

New students who did not attend SUNY Orange or another institution for the 2017-18 Fall or Spring semester must:

  • complete a 2017-2018 FAFSA
  • be admitted into college
  • be matriculated into a degree or certificate bearing program (certificate programs must consist of 24 or more credit hours) before they will be considered for aid
  • all courses taken during the semester must apply toward their degree program  
  • be in good academic standing according to the standards published on the SUNY Orange financial aid web site.

Academic Requirements

Those students who attended SUNY Orange during the Fall and/or Spring 2017-2018 semesters will be reviewed for Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined for federal eligibility, whether or not they applied for or received federal financial aid.

Those students who received TAP or APTS awards will be reviewed for NYS Satisfactory Academic Progress based on the spring 2018 semester.

Gradations as F, W, I or U—may be considered ‘unsatisfactory progress’. Students deemed ineligible for state and federal financial aid will not be eligible for any state, or federal aid including Stafford loans for the summer session. (NOTE: If a Satisfactory Academic Progress review has not been completed by the first day of Summer Session I, students should discuss the situation with the Financial Aid office.)

Reconsideration of Financial Aid: When a student drops out of a class or if a class is cancelled, financial aid will need to be recalculated. As a result, some students may have to repay Federal or State aid. Attendance is mandatory for students receiving financial aid, and refund checks cannot be released until attendance has been verified.


Pell:Summer enrollment is attached as a "trailer" to the preceding award year. SUNY Orange offers a number of summer sessions of differing lengths in an effort to be responsive to the needs of the student body. For the purposes of federal financial aid programs, the separate sessions are combined into one term.

Students have two options for receiving their summer 2018 Federal Pell Grant:

Option 1: Use any leftover Pell eligibility from the 2017/18 aid year. (Be sure you have your 2017/18 FAFSA filed!)


Option 2: Use your 2018/19 Pell eligibility to pay for summer 2018, which would result in reducing the amount of Pell money you would receive for the Spring 2019 semester. (Be sure you have your 2018/19 FAFSA filed!)You must complete a form in the Financial Aid Office to state you want to use your 2018-19 FAFSA for Summer 2018 aid.

It is best to file for both aid years to ensure the ability to look at both your 2017-2018 AND 2018-2019 applications and determine which aid year you have monies available to you.

Direct Loans:Students (including transfer and readmit students) who attended Fall/Spring semesters in 2018-2019 and who have already received a subsidized and/or unsubsidized Stafford Loan during the year should review the loan limits per academic year, as well as the maximum cumulative amounts allowable. A student who has borrowed the maximum per-year amount cannot borrow additional funds for Summer sessions, although a parent may be eligible to borrow through the Federal Parent Loan Program for Undergraduate Students.

Work-Study Program: Matriculated students wanting to work on campus should complete a College Work Study Request form. Continuing students, who have been awarded work study for the 2017 - 2018 academic year, are eligible to continue working up to June 25, 2018. To be awarded for Federal work-study beginning after July 1, 2018, students must apply on a 2018-2019 FAFSA and must be pre-registered for Fall 2018 courses.

Veterans Benefits: Veterans receiving educational benefits are eligible for tuition deferral equal to the amount of the authorized advance payment. Paperwork must be submitted and approved by the Veteran Office Administrator on campus. (See Kelly Jonigan in the Academic Advising Office.)


Tap Award Deadlines: The Tap application deadline is June 30 of the academic year for which aid is sought.

Criteria for Summer TAP Eligibility: Student must have been enrolled full time at SUNY Orange for both the prior Fall and Spring terms and during those terms must have earned 24 credits applicable to their degree. To apply, student must complete the upcoming year FAFSA online and when finished, use the link to NYS Higher Education†.


Students can make payments on their college bill at the Student Services Central in:

  • Middletown at the Shepard Student Center by cash, check, credit card, or money order
  • Newburgh Extension Center by check, credit card, or cash.

Contact Us:

Middletown Office

Office of Financial Aid
Shepard Center, 3rd floor
115 South Street
Middletown NY 10940

Newburgh Office

Office of Financial Aid
Kaplan Hall
One Washington Ctr
Newburgh NY 12550


Office Hours:
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm