Jointly Registered Teacher Education Program (JRTEP)
To be eligible for admission to SUNY New Paltz, SUNY Orange JRTEP students must:
- Complete all SUNY Orange degree program requirements.
- Complete SUNY-mandated General Education Requirements.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Earn a grade of B or better in ENG 101 and ENG 102.
- Earn a grade of B- or better in EDU 103, EDU 109, and EDU 201.
- Math concentrations must earn a B- or better in either MAT 134 or MAT 205 and MAT 111.
- Must earn a grade of C or better in EDU 207, PSY 221, GEO 101, and MAT 111.
- Earn a grade of C- or better in all other courses.
- Complete a separate application and/or procedures for SUNY New Paltz or other transfer institution.
- Submit a writing sample to be completed at SUNY New Paltz prior to acceptance.
- Show evidence of clearance of fingerprinting on NYS Education Department TEACH account.
When a JRTEP student successfully completes the AA or AS at Orange, they may apply for transfer to New Paltz with full Junior standing to complete the Bachelor's degree.
Application to New Paltz is given priority status under the JRTEP, but not
always immediately to the Teacher Education Program. What
would delay that? Higher numbers of applications and increased
retention at New Paltz cause student acceptance to rely heavily
on incoming GPAs. Although a 3.0 cumulative minimum GPA
is required, recent applicants accepted as transfers had GPAs averaging
3.30+. The highly academically prepared students are accepted first.
Because teacher education programs, and the NYSED certification regulations, are precisely defined, it is essential that JRTEP students work closely with both their Orange advisor and the New Paltz advisor who is on campus once a month. Students who would like to transfer to a SUNY college other than New Paltz can check with the transfer school regarding which Orange courses would be accepted.