Mission Statement

The mission of the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) is to provide access and equal educational opportunities for students with documented disabilities. Based on the intake interview and documentation provided by the student, a variety of accommodations may be provided to help students limit the impact of their disability on their academic performance. OAS also acts as a liaison between the student, faculty, and staff.



Eligibility Requirements

  • Produce the required documentation of their disability
  • Self-identify their need for accommodations.
  • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities
  • Can meet the essential requirements for participation in a program with or without accommodations.

All documentation of disability must be provided to OAS on professional letterhead and contain the date of assessment, signature, title and license/certification numbers of the diagnosing professionals. Diagnoses of disabilities that do not contain the required information may not be used for determining eligibility for academic accommodations. OAS reserves the right to request reassessment when questions arise regarding previous assessment or previous service provision.

Requests for services and accommodations must be made in a timely manner. Without sufficient advance notification and proper documentation, the Office of Accessibility Services may not be able to meet your requests, or there may be delays. If you have been newly accepted and plan to enroll at SUNY Orange, please make every effort to contact our office well before you arrive on campus.

Grievance Procedure

If at any time, you have concerns about services, if you are denied a requested accommodation, or if you find any area or service of the college inaccessible, please report your concern to the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS). We will assist you with resolving the problem or reporting it to the appropriate office. If we are unable to reach a solution, the college Student Grievance Procedure can be used. The Student Grievence Policy can be found in the SUNY Orange Student Handbook. If your concern is not resolved internally, you have the right to file a formal complaint with the US Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights.