Copyright at SUNY Orange
What are our Copyright Guidelines?
The College has produced two complementary guidelines for use by Faculty and Staff:
- Copyright Guidelines for the Internet (PDF) - Guidelines for posting material publicly and in the digital classroom - includes
guidance on the TEACH ACT and Fair Use.
- Copyright Guidelines for the Library (PDF) - Guidelines for using material from the Library - includes guidance on Fair Use, making copies, and links to other resources.
What is Copyright?
Copyright protects original works of authorship. The copyright holder has the exclusive rights to:
- reproduce or copy
- produce derivative works based on the copyrighted work (right to modify)
- distribute copies of the work
- perform the work publicly
- display the work publicly
In general, before using or modifying any work, such as a portion of a book, an image from the internet, a piece of artwork or music, a design, or a computer software program, copyright issues should be considered.
Who can give me advice or help me with a Copyright Question?
- Library Questions: Andy Heiz - Library Director email@example.com x4251
- Academic Questions (Blackboard, DL Content, Classroom): Maureen Larsen - Director of Academic Technology - firstname.lastname@example.org x4484
- Internet Questions (Social Media, Website): Chris Thurtle - Assistant Director of Communications for New Media - email@example.com x4402