Orange Athletics – A Look Back at the Last Decade: 2010 – 2019January 14, 2020
The twenty-tens have come and gone. It has been an eventful decade for the SUNY Orange Athletic Department. While we relish the concept of student/athlete and are proudest of the number of associates degrees conferred on our athletes or the many four year schools our players have transferred to, there were also a lot of things happening on the fields and courts that are worth remembering. Special recognition goes to Coaches Victor Tobar from the men’s soccer team and women’s basketball coach John Lauro. Coach Tobar and Coach Lauro have been at Orange for the entirety of the past decade and are still going strong. Without further ado, mostly in order chronologically, are the highlights of the past decade for SUNY Orange Athletics:
- 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018 – A decade of Mid-Hudson Conference volleyball dominance. The Colts were 6 times Conference Champion.
- 2010 – One of Orange’s best teams ever, the baseball team won the Region Championship.
- 2010 – Corey Booth was named a baseball All-American
- 2011 – Men’s Basketball traveled to Rhode Island to win the Region 21 Championship.
- 2012 – The SUNY Orange Athletics Hall of Fame was founded. The first class of 10 were enshrined.
- 2012 – Brittany Romanelli was named a women’s basketball All-American.
- 2013 – Men’s Soccer won the Mid-Hudson Conference Championship.
- 2015 – Golfers Dan Pavlu and Marcus Cigna both qualified for the National Tournament.
- 2016 – Orange fielded a cross country team for the first time since 1977.
- 2016 – Golfer Marcus Cigna was named an All-American. Cigna and Dan Pavlu both qualified for the National Tournament for the second time.
- 2016 – Tyvon Cooper was named a men’s basketball All-American.
- 2017 – The men’s basketball team won the first ever Region XV division 2 Championship. The Orange men have played in every single Division 2 Championship game held in Region XV.
- 2017 – Baseball player, Jonathon Lindau. received the prestigious SUNY Chancellor’s Student Athlete Award.
- 2018 – In December, Paul Rickard Court was dedicated in the Phys. Ed. Building gymnasium.
- 2018 – Volleyball player, Cassidy Smith, was named an All-American and also received the prestigious SUNY Chancellor’s Student Athlete Award.
- 2019 – David Soto was named a Cross Country All-American.
Hopefully the next 10 years will feature many more championships, awards, highlights, and degrees from our teams and student/athletes as the last decade did.