Dental Hygiene Program
Accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation
American Dental Association
211 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago Illinois, 60611
This program will prepare the student for licensing by the State Board of Dentistry of New York State to practice dental hygiene. Career opportunities are available in private solo and group practices, hospitals and other health service agencies, public schools, and other public institutions. Traditional and advanced functions in oral health are taught to clinical proficiency.
Each student actively participates in clinical dental hygiene experiences in the college dental hygiene clinic, as well as off-campus sites, including hospitals. Students are required to provide their own transportation to these off-campus facilities and are required to purchase their own instruments and related supplies.
A yearly physical examination and TB (Mantoux) evaluation are required. In addition, upon initial entrance into the program, a 9 panel drug test will be required. Negative test results remain acceptable as long as the student is continuously enrolled. If a student tests positive, they would be eligible to reapply the next time the course is offered. If the student fails two drug tests there will be no re-admittance to the program.
A grade of 75% or better is required in all DNT___ series courses for progression in the program and graduation with an A.A.S Dental Hygiene degree.
- AAS degrees are primarily intended to prepare students for immediate employment; however, transfer opportunities exist in some areas. If you plan to pursue a four-year degree program, see the Department Chair or faculty advisor as soon as possible.
- Non-Citizens of the United States must have permanent residence status (Green Card) to be licensed to practice Dental Hygiene in New York State.
- An individual who has charges pending or has ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor and /or has been found guilty of professional misconduct or negligence may not be eligible to be licensed in New York State. These matters should be discussed with the Office of Professions before applying.
- Applicants should be aware that a criminal background check and drug screening will be required as part of the admissions requirement.
- Each incoming student in the Dental Hygiene Program must purchase his/her own dental
instruments. The cost for this "dental kit" is approximately $3,300.00.
- The kit must be purchased during the first week of each Fall semester (approximately
$2,800.00 in the freshman year and $500.00 in the senior year) through the Department.
OBSERVATION REQUIREMENTS: Prior to the application deadline of February 1st, submit a Dental Hygienist Observation Form (4 hours minimum).
PRE-ADMISSIONS SEMINARS: The Pre-Admission Seminars will be held virtually on Zoom at 5:00 pm. Please give your email address to Lorraine Triola in order that we can send you a Zoom invitation. Failure to attend a session in its entirety will negate your application for admission. These seminars may take up to two hours. Please plan to log in to the seminar at least 5 minutes prior to the session.
Below are the days, dates and times of the Pre-Admission Seminars:
- Thursday, October 12, 2023 at 5:00 pm
- Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 5:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 5:00 pm
Please RSVP to Lorraine Triola, 845-341-4880 or email@example.com
Note: If using Gmail, please check your spam folder as the response from Lorraine Triola may be in your spam folder.HELPFUL LINKS
- The kit must be purchased during the first week of each Fall semester (approximately $2,800.00 in the freshman year and $500.00 in the senior year) through the Department.