College Experience Program
Are you doing well in high school and looking for an academic challenge? Why wait until after graduation when you can get started TODAY? Explore college opportunities while still in high school!
For over 20 years, SUNY Orange has been offering high school students the opportunity to "jump start" their college career via the College Experience Program (CEP). High school juniors and seniors have chosen the College Experience Program for many reasons. As a SUNY Orange student, you will have an opportunity to:
- Earn college credits while still in high school
- Apply credits towards a high school diploma and/or a degree at Orange or transfer them to another college or university
- Gain confidence in a college setting
- Enhance your opportunities for acceptance into the college of your choice
- Save money by paying significantly less than at most other colleges and universities
Students entering the CEP program for the first time must meet the following requirements:
- Seniors need a minimum combined course average (cumulative GPA) of 85 in all Regents
courses, and a minimum score of 85 on the NYS Regents Exam that corresponds to their
SUNY Orange CEP course.
- Juniors need a minimum combined course average of 90 (cumulative GPA) in all Regents courses and a minimum score of 90 on the NYS Regents Exam that corresponds to their SUNY Orange CEP course.
Students may enter the College Experience Program as part-or full-time students.
High school junior or senior
High school seniors only
May take one to three courses per
Must take at least four
May take up to three credits per
- To be full-time (12 credits or more) or to study English as a part-time student, a
student must be a senior and have earned an 85 or higher on the NYS English Language
- Students enrolled in Community College in the High School who wish to be concurrently enrolled in the College Experience Program may take no more than 15 credits as a combined total.
How to Apply
- Fill out and submit the online application form indicating desired courses at SUNY
Orange and have a parent or guardian certify the form by entering their name at the
end. You must re-apply for the College Experience Program each semester.
- Request an official high school transcript and a letter of recommendation indicating
ability to do college level work from your guidance counselor. This should be submitted
as soon as possible.
- If the college courses will be applied toward high school graduation, the letter must include the following for full-time students: “A New York State High School diploma from (name of high school) High School will be issued to (name of student) upon successful completion of the following specific courses.” Include a list of the Orange County Community College courses required for high school graduation.
- Interview with an Admissions representative. (Students will be contacted after Admissions validates their eligibility).
Students must bring immunization records if they wish to take six or more credits during a semester.
How to continue at SUNY Orange after high school graduation
Participants in the College Experience Program who intend to continue study at SUNY Orange after they receive their high school diploma should apply for matriculation (formal admission) by submitting an application during their senior year.
For specific information on programs, deadlines, and tuition, contact the Office of Admissions by calling (845) 341-4030 or emailing Apply@SUNYOrange.edu.