Liberal Arts: Humanities and Social Science Degree
At Orange County Community College, areas of study under the Associate in Arts degree span a wide range of academic interests.
Typically, these areas include specific studies in the social sciences, humanities, communication, education, the arts, and criminal justice.
Students in this program should meet regularly with their advisors to determine the best course of study for their particular area of interest.
In addition to taking courses in their particular area of interest, students are required to successfully complete a number of General Education courses as mandated by the State University of New York.
These General Education areas include: math, natural sciences, social sciences, American history, western civilization, world civilizations, humanities, the arts, foreign language and communication.
Upon completion of their degree, students will be able to:
- develop a foundation of essential knowledge about the cultural, social, and natural workds, and individual well-being
- understand the commonalities and diversity of the human experience, values and opinions
- understand the forms of artistic expression and their inherent creative processes
- think critically, apply systematic reasoning and develop information management quantitative skills
- communicate effectively
- be prepared to transfer to, and succeed at, an upper-level institution