The Parents' Page
Have you ever wondered, "How can I help my son/daughter find direction in making career choices?" If so, then you have come to the right place for assistance! The Office of Career and Internship Services offers opportunities to students to help guide them with career choices as well as job search success.
Generally, students should begin their career search early in their freshman year, visiting Career Services for the following reasons:
- To take FOCUS, an assessment tool used to provide career choices based upon personality, work and leisure interests, skills, and values
- To receive help in narrowing academic choices
- To find an internship opportunity
- To receive assistance in writing resumes and cover letters
- To gain practice in interviewing strategies
- To register with the on-line Job Bank, Career Portal, to look for part-time or full-time work
- To learn how to network
As a parent, you can encourage your child to visit our Career Services office to take advantage of all that it offers. A study of more than 13,000 graduates found that students who used the career center and its resources at college were more likely to report job-search success than their friends who had decided to go their own way
At the SUNY Orange Office of Career and Internship Services, our mission is to teach students lifelong skills which can provide them with the tools necessary to pursue a successful career-search effort. We welcome parents as well as their students to come to our office and introduce themselves. You will be glad that you did!