Dental Hygiene Requirements
Students are placed in the AS Liberal Arts program until accepted into the AAS Dental Hygiene program.
Pre-health students who receive financial aid and wish to take extra classes should refer to the AS Liberal Arts Program.
- Submit an online health profession application to the program.
**Please note that this application can serve as a general application to the College as well as the Dental Hygiene program**
- Submit official high school transcript; or GED with score report
- Submit official college transcripts (if applicable)
- Eligible to take ENG 101
- Eligible to take MAT 102, or have completed MAT 101 with a grade of 2.00 (C) or higher.
- Completion of at least one of the following within 5 years of the application deadline:
BIO110; BIO 101; BIO 111; BIO 112; or BIO 115 with a 2.00 (C) or higher; AP Biology
(score of 3, 4, or 5); or a passing grade on the Biology CLEP exam.
- Completion of one of the following within 5 years of application deadline: HS Regents
Chemistry course or equivalent with a grade of 75 or higher; passing grade on the
Chemistry I CLEP exam; CHM 100 (formerly CHM 120) or another college Chemistry (with
a lab) with a grade of 2.00 (C) or higher.
- Minimum program GPA of 2.50 within required/recommended courses for application.
Department Specific Requirements
- Submit Dental Hygienist Fall 2022 Virtual Observation & Activity Form - or- Fall 2022 In-Person Observation Form within 3 years prior to the application deadline. Due to COVID-19, the 16 hours of
direct observation of dental hygienists practicing can be replaced with videos and
an activity describing your observations.
- Attendance at a Dental Hygiene department Fall 2022 Pre-Admission Seminar Schedule within 3 years prior to the application deadline. At this orientation, students receive and sign off on information pertaining to health forms, drug testing, and criminal record policies.
- Applicants will be considered based on the total amount of non-clinical courses complete
(please see below), program GPA and Science GPA. For Dental Hygiene, the following
courses will be calculated in the Science GPA review: BIO 115, BIO 125 & MLT 106.
- The Office of Admissions will include all of non-clinical courses listed below, in
which you receive a 2.00 (C) or higher, in the program GPA calculation and credit
- All of the above Academic and Department requirements must be completed on or before
February 1st in order for a student to be considered for acceptance into the program
for the fall semester.
Courses Required as part of the Dental Hygiene Program
Though not admissions requirements, the courses below are required as part of the Dental Hygiene program and completing them will enhance your eligibility (25 credits). Please be aware that if you have not taken a course within its designated timeframe, you must retake it.
|Course Number||Course Name||Credit||Semester||Year||Grade|
|ENG 101||Freshman English I||3|
|ENG 102||Freshman English II||3|
|COM 101||Foundations of Communications||3|
|PSY 111||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|SOC 101||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|BIO 115*^||Human Biology*^ (Fall semester only~) (pre-req. BIO 101 or BIO 110)||4|
|MLT 106*||Microbiology for Health Professions* (pre-req. one semester biological science or cocurrent enrollment in BIO 111)||3|
*Must have been completed within 5 years of application deadline
^ BIO 112 can serve as a substitute for BIO 115
~Subject to change