Current and Returning Students
Current Students are required to meet with their assigned advisor to receive a registration PIN code for the upcoming semester.
During your second semester, if you have completed all required Reading and Writing developmental courses and are ready to proceed with the core courses in your program, you will be assigned to a Faculty Advisor within your degree program. Your Advisor and other faculty in the department can provide expert guidance concerning your academic and career goals. Prepare for your visit!
If you are returning to SUNY Orange after a break of two or more consecutive semesters (excluding summer), you will need to apply for readmission before you will be able to register for courses. If your GPA falls below a 2.0, you must attend a ReSTART workshop. At the conclusion of the workshop, you will have the opportunity to meet with an Advisor and register for your courses.
WHO IS MY ADVISOR
- If you are a current student, the name of your assigned Advisor is seen in Degree Works
- If you are a returning student, see an Advisor in the Academic Advising Office
HOW DO I FIND MY ADVISOR
- Click on the Student Services/Resources tab on your mySUNYOrange dashboard
- In the Academic Advising and Career Planning box, click on "Find My Advisor’s Office Hours"
- Select your Advisor’s name from the drop down menu and click Submit
- If there are no hours posted, you can contact your Advisor directly to see when he
or she is available.
- Click on the “Home” tab
- In the “Phone and Email Lookup (Faculty/Staff)” box on the top right of the page, enter in your Advisor’s first and last name and select Search
WHEN DO I SEE MY ADVISOR
- For registration:
- In the Fall semester: October - early November
- In the Spring semester: March - early April
- Find information on how to prepare for your meeting
- For longer, "big-picture" planning discussions, meet with your advisor at the beginning of the semester (September-October; February-March) to avoid the registration rush when advising hours are limited
WHY DO I SEE AN ADVISOR
- Change your degree program
- Develop education/career goals, plans and strategies
- Discuss academic progress and difficulties
- Select courses before registration opens and to get your Alternate PIN for online registration
- Add/Drop courses after registering
- Ask questions about programs, procedures and policies
- Get referrals for appropriate services, resources, information, and opportunities