Facebook Ad Pixel Student FAQs

Student FAQs

Below are Frequently Asked Questions students may have as SUNY Orange transitions to remote instruction in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. New questions will be added as needed.

Questions you may have related to specific classes should be directed to your instructor for that class.

Pooled COVID-19 Testing

What do I do if I’m unavailable at my assigned testing time?

To the best extent possible, you are expected to adhere to your assigned time. Keep in mind SUNY has made this testing mandatory for students, and has established SUNY-wide sanctions for non-compliance. Testing is not optional. If you find it impossible to participate within your assigned window, please contact the Wellness Center (wellnesscenter@sunyorange.edu) to make alternate arrangements within another testing session.

If I get tested at my job/clinical site, or by my healthcare provider, do I need to be tested at SUNY Orange?

Your non-College administered test must be completed within one week prior to your testing window. You can share the results by scanning your test findings or taking a photo of your results and emailing that file to the Wellness Center (wellnesscenter@sunyorange.edu). If you are tested off campus, keep in mind that you must provide SUNY Orange with test results at least once every two weeks (in connection with your scheduled on-campus testing session). If you can’t be tested every two weeks off campus, you must then report to your on-campus pooled testing window.

Do I have to be tested if my in-person class will be meeting remotely for the rest of the semester?

No. Testing is only required if your course will be meeting on-campus.

Why must I enter my health insurance information on the COVID-19 Surveillance Account application, and will the testing impact my insurance?

Regulations within the CARES Act prevent SUNY Upstate Medical (the institution processing/testing the pooled samples) from billing students and employees, assuring those tested have no “out of pocket” costs. To recover some testing expenses, SUNY Upstate can file a claim with your insurance company. You may want to contact your insurance carrier if you have additional questions. If you are uninsured, you should note that in the first insurance field and enter “NA” in the remaining insurance fields. (All employees covered under the College’s health insurance plan are covered 100% for the cost of coronavirus testing)

Learning at a Distance/Academics

I don't know anything about Blackboard.  What should I do?

First contact your instructor to discuss your specific class format. For more information about Blackboard, please log into MySUNYOrange and enter your account information. Once you’re logged in, click on the Blackboard icon in the top right corner. You will be connected to the Blackboard landing page that is populated with a student orientation and additional resources to support your success.

After referring to the resources in the paragraph above, students may contact the College’s Center for Student Success Center for coaching in the new format. https://sunyorange.edu/academicsupport/index.html

There is also a Student Guide to Blackboard posted on the College's Student Resources page.

How will I complete my required hours in the Reading/Writing Center?

The Reading/Writing Center will be a resource for you in electronic formats. Send questions to readingwritingcenter@sunyorange.edu.

Can I still meet with my academic tutor?

Yes. The College’s Center for Student Success Centers will be continuing to offer support services remotely via NetTutor and Google Meet. Through these two options, students will be able to access real-time support in the full range of subjects typically offered under normal circumstances. For more information or to contact the center directly please click on the following link: https://sunyorange.edu/academicsupport/tut_online.html


How do I get my textbooks from the Bookstore?

Ordering Textbooks

The SUNY Orange bookstores will continue to operate as online bookstores. 

Our websites can be accessed as follows:

Middletown - sunymiddletownshop.com

Newburgh - sunynewburghshop.com

  1. Once at the web site, scroll down to the middle of the page to the section called Get Your Textbooks.  Select your information from the drop down menu containing the following categories: Campus, Program and Term. 
  2. Click on the Orange button that says Find Courses. That will take you to a new page where you can select your course by either Shop by Course or Shop by Course ID. 

If you choose Shop by Course, you will need to input the Name of the Department,  the Course and the Section. 


If you choose Shop by Course ID, you will need to input the course CRN number.

  1. Repeat this process for all courses then click Find Materials For (# ) Courses

Books will be shipped to your home address.  

If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Labinsky at jennifer.labinsky@sunyorange.edu, 2023mgr@follett.com or at 2022asm@follett.com

There will be staff in the bookstores for limited hours to process book orders and answer email inquiries.  

Most orders will be shipped within 24 hours of receipt.


When can I take my CLEP test, or TEAS test?

We are currently conducting TEAS testing virtually.  Please refer to the TEAS website for detailed information.  We are not offering CLEP testing.  Some private testing centers may be open and offering CLEP testing at this time.  You can search for local testing sites online.  

Accessibility Services

Do my academic accommodations still apply to remote learning?

Yes. Accommodations exist to provide equal access so they will still apply to remote learning. Certain accommodations may look different or change depending on the disability and the access needed.

Will I still receive extended time for graded tests and quizzes?

Yes. How you receive that extended time will vary depending on the remote format of the class. You may wish to contact your professor via email to remind them of your accommodations needs.

My instructor has not adjusted my extended time for exams. What do I do?

Will I still make appointments with OAS to take my exams?

No. Since exams will be given remotely and not physically on campus, you do NOT need to make an appointment with OAS using the online test form. We do however recommend emailing your instructor and copying OAS when you have announced exams. Frequent communication with your instructors is important.

What if I need additional accommodations? 

The process to request accommodations has not changed. Use this link accommodation request  to request any additional accommodations necessary. OAS staff will review the request and if supported by disability and documentation we will deem if it is reasonable or not. If approved, a new accommodation notice will be sent. If OAS staff has questions regarding your request, an email will be sent.

How will I receive note taking services?

This will vary depending on the format of your class. If this is an approved accommodation for you and you have further questions, please email accessibilityservices@sunyorange.edu with the class name and the format of remote learning. 

I usually have tests read as an accommodation, what happens now?

Read and Write (the software used in Testing room) is available for download in your student portal. NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) is a free resource which can be found here https://www.nvaccess.org/

How will I return any equipment borrowed from OAS?

Any equipment loaned from OAS can be returned at a later date.

Financial Aid/Student Accounts

Where is my financial aid refund?

The Financial Aid Office staff is working remotely and continues to process awards. Funds will be disbursed once all requirements are completed and funds are eligible for disbursement.  If you are due a financial aid refund, the Student Accounts Office will process the refund according to your preference within 7 to 14 days.  To confirm the status of your refund email  studentaccounts@sunyorange.edu

What about my Federal Work Study job? Can I still get paid?

Students who held work study jobs prior to the COVID-19 outbreak, will continue to be eligible for work study funding.  An email was sent to all work study students explaining how the process will work for the rest of the semester.  If you did not receive this email, please contact finaid@sunyorange.edu

I have extra expenses or have lost income due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Can I receive additional financial aid during spring semester?

Many students are experiencing additional costs as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.  The federal government is rapidly developing guidelines that may allow students access to emergency financial aid, to help offset those costs.  Currently, this guidance has not been finalized.  We will share any updates on the MySUNYOrange portal, in the middle column of the "Student Finances" tab.  Please check back every few days for more information.

I am an Orange County resident. How can I submit a Certificate of Residency for the Fall?

The Fall Verification of Residence will be available when registration begins for the Fall semester.  Students may submit the Orange County Verification of Residence form online at https://sunyorange.edu/studentaccounts/residency_instructions.html

I don’t have the money to clear my Student Accounts hold? Can I still register during priority registration?

All financial holds must be satisfied prior to registering for any future semesters.

How can I make a payment online?

Log into your MySUNYOrange; Click Student Finances tab; Go to My Account;  Click My Account Statement; Click Make a Payment in Full. View more information on Payment Options.

 How can I contact Student Accounts?

Wellness Center

Is personal counseling available even though we are off campus?

Yes. Counseling services continue to be available to support SUNY Orange students in a remote capacity. Students who are struggling with adjusting to challenges posed by the COVID-19 outbreak should contact the Wellness Center to set up a virtual appointment. Counseling is being provided for students via HIPPA compliant Zoom sessions or by phone. Please contact Wellness Center’s Mental Health Counselor, Maureen Flaherty, LMHC, at maureenflaherty@sunyorange.edu to schedule an appointment.  Our hours of operation are from 8:30 - 4:30 p.m, Monday through Friday. Email messages left after hours will be returned the next business day. 

Career Services

Can I get help preparing my resume? What about career exploration?

The Career Services staff is able to assist you.  We have many tools you can access online and it is possible to meet virtually with a counselor.  Check out  https://sunyorange.edu/careers/index.html or email donald.green@sunyorange.edu

Transfer Advising

How can I get information on transfer opportunities?

We have just launched Virtual College Transfer Events: https://sunyorange.edu/transfer/virtual.html and will continue to update the site.  In addition, if you have any general questions related to transfer or want to discuss transfer one-on-one, please email transferadvising@sunyorange.edu.  We can discuss transfer information via email, phone, or Zoom.

Veterans Services

Will my VA benefits be impacted by the move to online coursework due to COVID-19?

Any students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill will see no change in their BAH due to the shift to online coursework for the spring semester.  If summer courses are also moved to an online format, BAH will not be impacted during the summer term either.  There is no impact to other types of VA benefits.

What should I do if I am active duty or in the Reserves or National Guard and need to withdraw from a course(s) due to military obligations?

Please speak with your instructor(s) to see if it is possible to make up the work you will miss and/or receive an incomplete in the course.  If that is not possible and you need to withdraw, please reach out to vetaffairs@sunyorange.edu.


Will the shuttle bus be running?

The College will operate the shuttle bus during the Fall 2020 semester. For arrival and departure times, visit our Shuttle Bus webpage for the complete schedule.

I am struggling to pay my rent and bills and my work hours have been cut? Can I get help to finish the semester?

Yes, emergency support is available through the generous support of several Foundations and donors. Submit an application and supporting documentation to www.sef.suny.edu and we will respond quickly to get you the resources you need.