Facebook Ad Pixel Residency Instructions, Student Accounts, SUNY Orange

Residence Forms and Information

What is the Residency Requirement?

To qualify for NY resident tuition rates a student must have maintained a legal residence in NY State for one year and in the county for six months immediately preceding the first day of the semester. All NY State residents, who do not complete the residency requirement, will be charged as a non-resident. Proof of residence must be submitted annually.

In accordance with New York State Education Law, Section 6301 each full-time and part-time student residing in New York State must file a Certificate of Residence. The County of Legal Residence for a New York State resident attending a community college contributes to the College a portion of the College's cost for providing services to the student. The basis for assessing counties for this money is the Certificate of Residence.

Certificates are valid for 12 months from the date of issue. A new Certificate must be submitted each year.

Important Residency Forms

Online Verification of Orange County Residence



Winter 2023

For Summer 2022 and prior semesters, please mail in or drop off the "Verification of O.C. Residence (PDF)"
found below.

Spring 2023  
Summer 2023
Fall 2023 - Available 04/03/2023 Fall 2022

*If completing a PDF, the original completed form should be brought to Student Services Central or mailed to:SUNY Orange, Attn: Student Account/Lisa, 115 South St, Middletown, NY 10940

Out of County Certificates of Residence  

For important deadlines and information on how to obtain a Certificate of Residence from your home county, please check your home county's Treasurer's/Finance Department website, contact information can be found at, NYS County Residency Certifying Offices (Treasurer/Finance Offices).

Upload your out of County Certificate of Residence issued by your home county (Ex: Sullivan, Dutchess Bronx) below:


If you have been requested to provided addition information by the Student Accounts Office, please upload the documentation below.

Residence requirements for any county in New York State

To prove residence for any county in New York State you must:

  • Have resided in New York State for one year AND
  • Resided in your home county for six months prior to the first day of classes.

Please follow the instructions below for your home county. Once we receive the appropriate document the non-resident tuition charge will be removed from your account. You may not receive another bill. Make payment by subtracting the non-resident tuition amount from your balance due.

Residency Instructions

Orange County Resident

If you have resided in Orange county for 12 months prior to the start of the semester. Complete the Orange County Verification of Residence Form. Submit the original completed form to Student Services Central or mail the completed form to the Student Accounts Office.

NYS Residents from Counties other than Orange County

A student from a New York county other than Orange is required to submit a "Certificate of Residence" from their county of legal residence covering 6 months prior to the first day of classes. Contact the Treasurer's Office or Chief Fiscal Officer of your home county (see important residency forms above) to inquire about acceptable forms of proof you will need to prove your residency.

Once you have obtained a Certificate of Residence, you must submit the certificate by uploading it on our webpage: sunyorange.edu/studentaccounts or submitting it to the Student Services Central Office or the Student Accounts Office no earlier than 60 days prior to the start of the semester and no later than 30 days after the semester start date, this will entitle you to pay the resident tuition rate. Please note per New York State Education Law, NY state counties are only required to issue and honor certificates of residence dated no earlier than 60 days prior to the start of classes and no later than 30 days after. After the first 30 days of the semester, most counties will no longer honor or issue certificates of residence and payment for the non-resident tuition charge then becomes the student's responsibility. Late certificates can be submitted to our office, but the non-resident tuition will only be removed if your county honors our billing.

NYS Residents Who Have Lived in More Than One County During the Past Six Months

Contact each county in which you resided, as a certificate of residence will be required from each of those counties. Proceed as indicated above. Students who fail to meet the full six month residence requirement will be charged the non-resident tuition.


 A person does not acquire New York State Domicile (legal residence) simply by being physically present in New York State for a period of 12 months or for the sole purpose of attending a New York State College or University. If your principal or permanent home has not been New York State for a 12-month period immediately prior to the start date of the semester, you will be considered an out-of-state student for tuition purposes.

Special Requirements for Immigrant and Undocumented Aliens:

Permanent Resident Aliens: Immigrant Aliens must have a Permanent Resident Alien Card ("green card"), dated prior to the semester they will be attending, and be able to establish NYS residency to be eligible for resident tuition rates.

Visas: Foreign students on the following visas do not qualify for the residence rate: F(student), B(visitor), J(exchange), C, D, H2A, H3, H4 if on H2/H3, M, O, P, Q, R, TN, or TD visas.

Pursuant to Section 355 and 6301 of the New York State Education Law certain nonresident students including out of status and undocumented immigrants may be eligible for resident tuition.  The undocumented immigrant must meet the following requirements:

  • Attended an approved New York State high school for two or more years or attended a GED/TASC Exam Preparation Course
  • Graduated from an approved New York State high school or received a NYS GED/TASC Diploma
  • Applied for SUNY admission and attended within five years of receiving the NYS diploma or NYS GED/TASC Diploma
  • Compete a notarized affidavit stating that the student has filed or intends to file an application to legalize his or her immigration status

Please note the Student Services Central office has a Notary Public available for your convenience.

Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014


Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 ("Choice Act"), requires VA to disapprove programs of education for payment of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® and Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty at public institutions of higher learning if the schools charge qualifying Veterans and dependents tuition and fees in excess of the rate for resident students for terms beginning after July 1, 2015.

These new requirements will ensure that our Nation's recently discharged Veterans, and their eligible family members, will not have to bear the cost of out-of-state charges while using their well-deserved education benefits.


No. To remain approved for VA's GI Bill® programs, schools must charge in-state tuition and fee amounts to "covered individuals." A "covered individual" is defined in the Choice Act as:

  • A Veteran who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
  • A spouse or child using Chapter 33 or Chapter 35 benefits who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
  • A spouse or child using the benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship who lives in the state in which the institution of higher learning is located (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

Providing the college with proof of residency is an important step in your registration process. Students who fail to present documentation will be charged non-resident tuition. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (845) 341-4830 if you have any questions about the proper way to complete the requirement.