Financial Aid Appeals
To appeal your satisfactory academic progress status, you must submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form along with any required documentation, detailing the extenuating circumstances that contributed to not meeting the SAP standards.
Considerations for appeals exist if you had:
- A severe illness, medical condition,injury, or other medical emergency.
- Traumatic life altering experience, including financial, and/or personal catastrophe.
- The death of a parent, spouse or immediate family member.
Submitting an appeal does not guarantee approval to reinstate of your eligibility for receiving financial aid. The decision of the Appeals Committee is final.
Appeal Approval Conditions: Appeals can only be approved if the Financial Aid Appeals Committee determines:
- You will be able to meet SUNY Orange’s satisfactory academic progress chart after the next payment period; or
- You have agreed to follow an Academic Plan that, if followed, will ensure that the student can meet the college’s satisfactory academic progress guidelines by a specific point in time.
If an appeal is granted:
If your appeal is granted:
- You will receive aid on a conditional basis for one semester (this is known as the probationary period).
- The conditions will be outlined in a letter sent to you granting the appeal.
- The Financial Aid Appeals Committee will review your record at the end of the semester to determine your status for the following semester.
Students who fail to meet the conditions outlined in their individualized academic plans during their conditional semester will not be allowed to submit a subsequent appeal.
Appeals should be submitted by:
- June 1st for SUMMER SEMESTER - FEDERAL AID
- June 15th for FALL SEMESTER - FEDERAL & STATE AID
- January 10th for SPRING SEMESTER - FEDERAL & STATE AID
Appeals must be submitted by the deadline to ensure that Financial Aid funds which you may be eligible for are on your account before the payment-due date. If an appeal is submitted after the deadline dates, you will need to make arrangements for alternative means of payment for your tuition and fees.
- Federal and State appeals submitted after the deadline dates will NOT be processed.