Title IX - Sexual Assault Prevention
The State University of New York and SUNY Orange are committed to providing options, support and assistance to victims/survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking to ensure that they can continue to participate in SUNY Orange programs, activities, and employment.
This website provides important information regarding Title IX, your rights and protections as a student at SUNY Orange, and what to do if you experience, or become aware of, a instance of sexual or interpersonal violence, stalking, harassment, or any other sex or gender discrimination.
If you have experienced sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking:
- Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
- Try to preserve all physical evidence; do not bathe, douche, or change your clothes.
- Contact SUNY Orange Department of Safety and Security:
- Middletown - dial 77 from a campus phone or call 341-4710
- Newburgh dial 9533 from a campus phone or call 341-9533
- You may also use one of the Blue Light emergency phones, or any of the red or yellow phones located throughout both campuses.
- Call the Campus Sexual Assault Victims Hotline 844-845-7269. Reports made to the hotline will result in a response and investigation by the New
York State Police Campus Sexual Assault Victims Unit.
- Seek advice and support services from the SUNY Orange Sexual Assault Response Team (SART) at 341- 4710, or the Wellness Center at 341- 4870. Members of the SART team will assist sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking victims and can provide referral to county resources and support. Survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking are encouraged to use these services, regardless of whether the incident happened on or off campus.
Sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking are crimes; they
are not the victim's fault. Victims have the right to pursue adjudication of crimes
that occur on our campus through criminal courts and/or through the college's internal
disciplinary process (under the Student Code of Conduct). SUNY Orange Safety and Security
Department Officers are trained to assist victims throughout this process.
Where there is probable cause to believe the College's regulations prohibiting sexual misconduct have been violated, the College will pursue strong disciplinary action through its own channels. This discipline includes the possibility of suspension or dismissal from the College. An individual charged with sexual misconduct will be subject to the College disciplinary procedures, whether or not prosecution under New York State Criminal Statutes is pending. The College will make every effort to be responsive and sensitive to the victims of these serious crimes.
- Orange County Rape Crisis Helpline/Rapeline
- 24 hr crisis intervention information and referrals
- provides a specially trained advocate who will meet you at the hospital, and remain with you throughout the examination and reporting procedures.
- In addition, this program, which is a service of the Mental Health Association in
Orange County, Inc., can provide ongoing counseling and sexual assault
survivor support groups.
- (800) 832-1200
- (845)-346-HELP - Outside of Orange County
- Power in Unity: Peer Support Group for Victims of Sexual Assault
(845) 342-2400 ext. 267
- In Safe Hands: A Peer Support Group for Youth Survivors of Sexual Assault In Safe Hands: A Peer Support Group for Youth Survivors of Sexual Assault
(800) 832-1200 ext. 224
- Mental Health Association in Orange County, Inc.
- Safe Homes of Orange County
24/7 hotline: 1-888-562-5365
- New York State Department of Health Rape Crisis Progam
- New York State Office of Crime Victims
- New York State Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- New York State Office for the Prevention of Domestic Violence
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 24/7 hotline: 1-800-273-TALK
- 24/7 hotline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Mobile Mental Health, 24/7 hotline: 1-888-750-2266
- Emergency Contraception (Planned Parenthood)
- Planned Parenthood of the Mid-Hudson Valley
- Orange County STD and HIV Clinics