New START Workshops and New Student Advising
All newly admitted students must complete a New START workshop (New Student Advising and Registration Tutorial).
The New Student Advising and Registration Tutorial, or New START, is a two part workshop designed to
- introduce students to college resources and support services
- educate students about their degree plan and course requirements
- prepare students for a collaborative conversation with Advisors
- set academic expectations
- explain basic academic policies and procedures
- explain the necessary steps in the Registration process
Students complete the first one-hour portion of the workshop online and attend the second portion on campus. The link to register for the on-campus portion of the workshop in embedded at the end of the online portion. After completion, students meet with an Academic Advisor to create a course schedule and register.
Plan for three hours on campus to complete the New START workshop, meet with an Advisor and register for classes. Please bring a valid photo ID and arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the workshop. Due to limited space, only students are permitted to attend the workshop (no parents or children). However, the student may invite others to sit with them during their meeting with the advisor following the workshop.
New students can schedule a New START when the following criteria have been met:
- Student has been accepted to SUNY Orange
- Student has taken the Placement Test or been granted a waiver
- Student has submitted Immunization records
Students will receive instructions from Admissions.
If you have any questions about your invitation to sign up for a New START workshop, please contact the Office of Admissions at (845) 341-4030.