Accuplacer Placement Test
PLACEMENT TESTING FOR THE FALL 2019 SEMESTER IS NOW COMPLETE. Please contact the Office of Admissions at (845) 341-4030 to discuss your enrollment options for the fall semester.
About the Placement Test
The Placement test (Accuplacer) is administered to all new students to ensure academic success in English and mathematics, as these courses are foundational to nearly every program offered at SUNY Orange.
All new applicants are required to take the Placement Test prior to registering for classes, unless they have been granted a waiver based on previous coursework.
Students must be SUNY Orange applicants to take the placement test. We are not able to accommodate the administration of other institution's exams or non-SUNY Orange students taking the test for the purpose of transferring scores to another institution.
We recommend that you complete the Placement Test within two weeks of your application
to the SUNY Orange. Seats for the Placement Test are filled on a first-come, first-served
basis, so be sure to submit your application to SUNY Orange and sign up for a placement test
as early as possible.
*Students with disabilities who require testing accommodations must contact the Office of Accessibility Services prior to signing up for the Placement Test.
- Pay the $25 non-refundable Assessment Fee online or in person at Student Services Central. *Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the test if paying in person.
- On the day of the test, bring photo identification and receipt of payment (if paid in person) with you.
- Please arrive 20 minutes prior to the test time. *Late test takers may be turned away to avoid disruption to other students.
- You will receive your math and reading results as soon as you finish. Your writing results will be emailed to you after your essay is reviewed. You cannot "pass" or "fail" the placement test, and your scores will not prohibit you from attending SUNY Orange.
Please note: Students should plan on allocating up to 3 hours to take the Placement Test. Calculators are not permitted.
|MIDDLETOWN CAMPUS TEST LOCATION:||NEWBURGH CAMPUS TEST LOCATION:|
New students may receive a waiver from the English portion (Reading and Writing) of the Placement Test if they have successfully completed one of the following:
- Completed Freshman English I with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- Successfully received a 3 or better on the appropriate English AP Exam
New students may receive a waiver from the Math portion of the Placement Test if they have successfully completed one of the following:
- Completed a college-level mathematics course with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- Successfully received a 3 or better on the appropriate Math AP Exam
To apply for a waiver, please complete a Placement Test Waiver Request Form.
If you have previously tested and have taken courses at SUNY Orange, your scores remain valid and you can continue to take courses from where you left off. With the exception of the Ability to Benefit (ATB) test, returning students are not permitted to retest.
If you have previously tested but have not taken courses at SUNY Orange, your scores will be valid for two years from the date of your test. After that point, your scores will be removed from our system, and you will need to take the placement test before being able to register for courses.