Facebook Ad Pixel Immunization Information - The Wellness Center, SUNY Orange

Immunization Information

New York State Public Health laws require that all students born on or after January 1, 1957 and enrolled for six or more credits in any one semester provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR).

(If you require a more accessible version of any of the forms below, please call (845) 341-4870).

What immunization records do I need to provide?

Acceptable proof of immunity may be:

  • Documentation of live virus vaccine given after 1/1/68 and on or after your first birthday for:
    • measles - two doses at least 28 days apart
    • mumps one dose
    • rubella one dose
  • Laboratory serologic proof of immunity (positive titer) for measles, mumps and rubella

How do I get my records?

Most students can obtain their immunization records from their doctor’s office, high school health office, or other colleges they have attended. The records submitted must include the student's full name and date of birth, and  be stamped and signed by the issuing office.

To obtain your health record from another school (high school or college), please complete the Authorization to Release/Obtain Medical Records and bring, mail, or fax it to the school holding records. It is a good idea to follow up on your request to ensure the records were sent to the Wellness Center, and to verify with the Wellness Center that the records were received.

Students who were immunized in childhood but do not have immunization records must provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella with positive titers.

  • Titers are blood tests done at a doctor's office.
  • Students who do not have a primary care provider can call the Wellness Center for a list of physicians who work with our students at reduced rates.
  • The student must submit official lab tests results to the Wellness Center.
  • If the blood tests are negative the student will need to be reimmunized.
  • Immunizations are not provided on campus. They are available free of charge to prospective college students through the Orange County Department of Health. For a copy of the clinic schedule please call the Wellness Center at 341-4870.
  • The student is responsible for all fees related to blood tests and immunizations.

Students who do not comply with immunization requirements may be disenrolled from the college.

In addition, all students, regardless of age, must sign and return the college's Meningitis Response Form (below), indicating they have received the information about meningococcal disease and have either received or waived the vaccine.

Where do I send my immunization records?

Immunization records may be dropped off at the Wellness Center, Room 237, Shepard Student Center, Middletown; mailed to SUNY Orange Wellness Center, 115 South St, Middletown, NY 10940; faxed to 845-341-4872; or emailed to immunizations@sunyorange.edu.

Please refer all questions to the Wellness Center at 341-4870 or send an email to immunizations@sunyorange.edu

How do I obtain a copy of my immunization records from SUNY Orange?

Students can obtain a copy of their immunization records in person by visiting the Wellness Center and completing the Authorization to Release/Obtain Medical Records form which includes proof of identification (driver's license, student ID, etc.) At the student's request, records can be faxed or mailed to any school or employer the student designates at no cost.

 Students who cannot come to the Wellness Center may make their request in writing by completing the Authorization to Release/Obtain Medical Records form and attaching a photocopy of their identification (driver's license, student ID, etc.)  Mail requests to: SUNY Orange Wellness Center, 115 South Street, Middletown, NY 10940 or fax to (845) 341-4872.


Immunization Clinics

Immunization to preventable infectious diseases is an important part of maintaining wellness.

The Orange County Health Department provides several opportunities to protect yourself from a variety of illnesses including:

  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B (free through the OCHD's STI Clinic)
  • Influenza
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
  • Meningitis
  • Tetanus
  • Varicella (Chicken Pox)

Immunization clinics are offered year round for adults and uninsured children in Health Department offices in Middletown, Newburgh, Goshen, and Port Jervis. SUNY Orange students may receive immunization for MMR from the OCHD at no cost. Please call for an appointment, identify yourself as a student, and present your previous immunization record. All other immunizations are available at cost.For more information please visit their website.


Immunization Information for Veterans

New York State Public Health Law requires ALL students prove immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR). If your military immunization records are not immediately available, here’s how to meet this requirement:

  • Request a copy of your immunization records from your primary care provider, previous colleges you attended, or your high school.
  • Complete the Authorization to Release/Obtain Medical Records, return it to the Wellness Center, and we will fax it to your high school to request release of your records to SUNY Orange.
  • Ask your doctor to perform a blood test (called a titer) to prove immunity to MMR. Bring the test results to the Wellness Center.
  • If you were honorably discharged from the armed services within ten years prior to entry to the College, you may present a copy of your DD214. This is a stopgap that will allow you to register for classes. You will still need to show proof of immunity within 30 days to continue attending classes.
  • Request your immunization/medical records from the VA, however obtaining military records may take many months and they often  do not contain the specific information we need (MMR).