I am a Leader Program
I Am A Leader is free and open to all SUNY Orange credit students. Students may sign-up for any workshop that interests them. Students may also choose to complete the entire I Am A Leader program. Students who complete all of the program requirements will receive:
- a special certificate recognizing their completion of the leadership course
- recognition at the College's annual Spring Awards Convocation
- the achievement will be noted as a part of the student s permanent college record
Program requirements (for students seeking to earn the I Am A Leader program certificate):
- participation in all six leadership workshops including the submission of a reaction journal for each session
- planning and participating in a community service opportunity during the 2018-19 academic year (all projects must be approved by the Director of Center for Student Involvement).
Students must sign-up in advance for all workshops they wish to attend at the Center for Student Involvement Office in either Middletown (Shepard Student Center) or Newburgh (Tower Building). Seating for each workshop is limited. Students who wish to complete the entire series are encouraged to register for all workshops early as they are likely to fill up.
"What I have learned from this program is to never give up. That being a "leader"
takes hard work and dedication. Also, that you might have some bumpy roads ahead of
you but don't let that stop you from achieving your goals."
-2018 "I Am A Leader" Graduate
Students in the program will:
- PARTICIPATE in active and lively workshops with skilled and knowledgeable facilitators
- LEARN leadership skills that will continue to serve you throughout your academic, personal and professional life
- EXPLORE your strengths and abilities and how to use them
- BUILD relationships with academic and community leaders
- GROW as active participants in society
Program brochure: I Am A Leader 2019-20 (PDF)
(If you require a more accessible version of this brochure, please contact Steve Harpst using the information below)
For more information contact:
Steve Harpst, Director of the Center for Student Involvement