Facebook Ad Pixel SUNY Orange - Office of Accessibility Services - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a “qualified student with a disability?

A. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 states: No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States shall, solely by reason of disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. Within this civil rights legislation, an individual with a disability is a person who has (1) a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; (2) has a record of such an impairment, or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. The Office of Civil Rights (OCR) interprets a qualified student with a disability at the elementary and secondary level to refer to a student with a disability who is "of an age at which students without disabilities are provided elementary and secondary educational services; of an age at which it is mandatory under state law to provide elementary and secondary educational services to student with disabilities; or a student to whom the state is required to provide a free appropriate public education under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). At the postsecondary level, OCR interprets a "qualified student with disability" to refer to a student with a disability "who meets the academic and technical standards requisite for admission or participation in the institution's educational program or activity. For more information regarding the meaning of "qualified student with a disability, consult:

Q. I have an IEP from high school. Is that adequate documentation?

A. No. The IEP from high school identifies the services the high school agreed to provide. The high school IEP does not document the disability or identify the impact on college education. A recent evaluation from high school's school psychologist or other licensed professional may be used for documentation

Q. Where do I send documentation of my disability?

A. Send documentation to the Office of Accessibility Services, The process to establish your eligibility begins when you provide OAS with documentation that gives a diagnosis and description of your disability. The documentation can be hand carried, emailed, or mailed to the Office of Accessibility Services:

Middletown Campus
115 South Street
Middletown, New York 10940A

Newburgh Campus
One Washington Center
Newburgh, NY 12550

Do NOT send it to the Admissions office.

Q. Can my parents know about my academic performance in college?

A. No, not without your permission. We will require you to sign a release if you want our office to discuss your grades, behavior or attendance with anyone else but you.

Q. Why would two individuals with the same disability receive different accommodations?

A. Situations are considered on a case-by-case basis because the impact of a given disability on each person can be totally different in its effect.