Facebook Ad Pixel Educational Benefits, Veterans and Military Services, SUNY Orange

Educational Benefits Home

The Office of Veterans and Military Services is happy to assist you with using your educational benefits and/or Military Tuition Assistance. The Veterans Certifying Official, Kelly Jonigan, will certify your enrollment each semester with the VA and will assist you with any difficulties you might encounter in using your educational benefits.

Overall Process for using Educational Benefits:

  • Apply and be accepted to SUNY Orange.
  • If you did not already complete as part of the college application, please complete the Student Information Form.
  • Apply for educational benefits or Tuition Assistance (if Active Duty).
  • Submit a copy of your DD 214, and Certificate of Eligibility or educational benefit approval paperwork:
  • Request an official copy of your Joint Services Transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions.
  • Apply for financial aid.  As a military student, or dependent/spouse of a military service member, you may be entitled to federal or state financial aid, including both grants and loans.  To determine this eligibility, you will need to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at www.fafsa.gov.  Complete the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application as directed on the FAFSA submission confirmation page. Apply for New York State educational benefits.  *Certain types of aid may not be used in conjunction with some benefits. 
  • Complete admissions process, including placement testing, submission of immunization records, New START workshop, course registration, and any other required steps.
  • Once you are registered for classes, email us at vetaffairs@sunyorange.edu. *This step is only for new students or those returning from a break in attendance of one or more semesters.

You are always welcome to contact us at vetaffairs@sunyorange.edu with any questions or concerns you may have.