For National Guard and Naval Militia
Recruitment Incentive & Retention Program for National Guard and Naval Militia
The Recruitment Incentive & Retention Program (RIRP) is a New York State program designed to recruit and retain members for the State Military Forces (Army and Air National Guard, and Naval Militia). This program will pay the cost of tuition up to SUNY tuition rates per semester.
- Be in good standing with State Military Forces.
- Be accepted and enrolled in an undergraduate degree-granting program for a minimum of six (6) credit hours per semester.
- Be a resident of the State of New York for a period of 186 days prior to using the program, excluding Active Duty periods.
** For complete eligibility requirements, see DMNA Regulation 621-1
To apply for the RIRP, a Service Member must submit these documents to their Unit Administrator (UA) or the Education Service Representative:
- Read and complete the MOU and DMNA 96-1
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) (Pell Grant). Obtain Student Aid Report (SAR) as proof of PELL approval or denial. Final PELL determination is required before the complete package can be approved.
- Complete the application for Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Obtain original TAP award certificate as final proof of TAP approval or denial. Final TAP determination is required before the complete package can be approved.
- Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from the College
Applications must be received by the appropriate Education Service Representative by:
- 15 August for the Fall semester
- 15 December for the Spring semester
Contact your Education Service Representative for more information:
- Army National Guard @ (518) 272-6349
- Air National Guard @ (518) 786-4226
- New York Naval Militia @ (518) 786-4585
How to use your RIRP benefits at SUNY Orange
- RIRP is a tuition-benefit only and will not cover fees.
- Each semester, you will need to make payment arrangements with Student Services Central.