Facebook Ad Pixel Educational Benefits for Veterans, Veterans and Military Services, SUNY Orange

For Veterans

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is an education benefit for individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001, and were honorably discharged, and activated members of the National Guard and Reserves. Those who qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty or MGIB-Selected Reserve will have the option to choose which benefit best suits their need. Ch. 33 provides up to 36 months of benefits. Benefits are valid for 15 years after the last period of active duty.

Under the Forever GI Bill, the 15-year time limitation to use Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits is eliminated for veterans who left active duty after 1/1/2013.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at: www.benefits.va.gov/gibill

Member Serves    *Effective 8/1/2020
% of Maximum Benefit Payable
At least 36 months
At least 30 continuous days on active duty and must be discharged due to service-connected disability
At least 30 months, but less than 36 months
At least 24 months, but less than 30 months
At least 18 months, but less than 24 months
At least 6 months, but less than 18 months
At least 90 days, but less than 6 months

How to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits at SUNY Orange:

  • Apply online
  • Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility, please submit it to the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Affairs.
  • Your tuition and fee payments will be sent directly to SUNY Orange. Your housing (BAH) and book stipends will be sent directly to you.
  • Book stipends are $41.67 per credit, up to a maximum of $1,000 per academic year.
  • Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a monthly housing allowance based on the BAH for an E-5 with dependents.
    • You must be enrolled at least 51% to be eligible (6.5+ cr. fall/spring, 2+ cr. summer). If you are enrolled part-time, your BAH will be prorated based on the number of credits you are taking.
    • If you take all online courses, you will receive half of the national average BAH.
    • You must take at least one on-campus course each semester to receive full BAH.
  • The VA will reimburse you for the cost of approved licensing and certification tests up to $2,000 (e.g. CLEP).

Veteran Tuition Award (VTA)

Eligible students are NY residents discharged under honorable conditions and who are:

  • Vietnam Veterans who served in Indochina between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975.
  • Persian Gulf Veterans who served in the Persian Gulf on or after August 2, 1990.
  • Afghanistan Veterans who served in Afghanistan during hostilities on or after September 11, 2001.
  • Veterans of the armed forces of the United States who served in hostilities that occurred after February 28, 1961 as evidenced by receipt of an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Navy Expeditionary Medal, or a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal.

How to use your VTA benefits at SUNY Orange:

  • Establish eligibility and apply annually with the FAFSA
  • VTA is a tuition-benefit only and will not cover fees. If you also are eligible for another benefit that fully covers your tuition (e.g. 100% Post-9/11 GI Bill), you will not be able to use both. However, if you receive Post-9/11 Bill benefits at less than 100% or Montgomery GI Bill/Ch. 30 benefits, you can use these in addition to VTA.

Veteran Readiness and Employment (Ch. 31)

Individuals who have a minimum 10% service-connected disability may be eligible for Veteran Readiness and Employment. If you have a service-connected disability that prevents you from continuing your former career, you may be able to receive one-on-one support from the VA to help you choose an academic program that is appropriate for your career goals.

How to use your benefits at SUNY Orange:

  • Apply online
  • Once you have applied and are deemed eligible, you will receive a letter confirming your eligibility. You will then meet with your VA Counselor to discuss your options and create an individualized academic plan.
  • You must speak with your VA Counselor each semester prior to registering for courses. Once you receive your authorization letter from your VA Counselor, please submit it to SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services for certification.
  • If you need to repeat or drop a course or if you are interested in changing your major, you must speak with your VA Counselor for approval.
  • Your tuition and fee payments will be sent directly to SUNY Orange.