Active Duty and Reservists
Active Duty/Tuition Assistance (TA)
SUNY Orange accepts Military Tuition Assistance from all US service branches. Each branch of the military has its own tuition assistance policy and procedures. Service members should contact their Education Services Officer (ESO) for detailed information.
How to use your benefits at SUNY Orange:
- Apply online using the links below:
- Send in your approval paperwork to Student Services Central or the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services.
- Tuition Assistance covers tuition only, not fees.
Return of Tuition Assistance
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.
To comply with Department of Defense policy, SUNY Orange will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military service branch. Return of TA funds is treated the same as the return of Title IV funds.
Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD, Ch. 30)
You may be eligible to receive MGIB benefits while you are on active duty or after you are separated from active duty. You may be eligible if you first entered active duty after June 30, 1985, and contributed towards the MGIB. Please review additional eligibility requirements.
- You must have received honorable discharge.
- Benefits must be used within 10 years after most recent discharge date.
Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Ch. 1606)
The MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members serving a minimum six year contract with the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.
How to use your Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30 or 1606) benefits at SUNY Orange:
- To apply, complete VA form 22-1990
- Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility, please submit it to the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services.
- Your payments will be sent to you directly, not to SUNY Orange.
- You must verify your enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR): 1-877-823-2378.
- If you are eligible for a kicker, submit a copy of your kicker contract to the regional VA Office by mail or fax.
- The VA will reimburse the cost of approved licensing and certification tests (e.g. CLEP) up to $2,000.
- If you are deployed during the semester, submit a copy of your orders to the Office of the Vice President of Student Services for a tuition refund. You must also complete total withdrawal paperwork and notify the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services.