Facebook Ad Pixel Active Duty and Reservists, Educational Benefits, Veterans and Military Services, SUNY Orange

Active Duty and Reservists

Active Duty/Tuition Assistance (TA)

Each branch of the military has its own tuition assistance policy and procedures. Service members should contact their Education Services Officer (ESO) for detailed information.

How to use your benefits at SUNY Orange:

Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD, Ch. 30)

You may be eligible to receive MGIB benefits while you are on active duty or after you are separated from active duty. You may be eligible if you first entered active duty after June 30, 1985, and contributed towards the MGIB. Please review additional eligibility requirements.

  • You must have received honorable discharge.
  • Benefits must be used within 10 years after most recent discharge date.

Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR, Ch. 1606)

The MGIB-SR program provides education and training benefits to eligible members serving a minimum six year contract with the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components and VA makes the payments.

How to use your Montgomery GI Bill (Ch. 30 or 1606) benefits at SUNY Orange:

  • To apply, complete VA form 22-1990
  • Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility, please submit it to the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services.
  • Your payments will be sent to you directly, not to SUNY Orange.
  • You must verify your enrollment monthly by Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by Interactive Voice Response (IVR): 1-877-823-2378.
  • If you are eligible for a kicker, submit a copy of your kicker contract to the regional VA Office by mail or fax.
  • The VA will reimburse the cost of approved licensing and certification tests (e.g. CLEP) up to $2,000.
  • If you are deployed during the semester, submit a copy of your orders to the Office of the Vice President of Student Services for a tuition refund. You must also complete total withdrawal paperwork and notify the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services.