Facebook Ad Pixel Educational Benefits for Spouses and Dependents, Veterans and Military Services, SUNY Orange

Spouses and Dependents

Post-9/11 GI Bill® Transfer (Ch. 33)

Allows Servicemembers to transfer unused benefits to their spouse and/or dependent child(ren). The Department of Defense (DoD) determines transfer eligibility.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

  • For children and spouses of active duty members killed in line of duty on or after 9/11/01.
  • To apply, complete VA form 22-5490

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA, Ch. 35)

  • The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program offers up to 45 months of educational
    benefits to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related
    condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.
  • To apply, complete VA form 22-5490

How to use your benefits at SUNY Orange:

  • Once you have received your Certificate of Eligibility, please submit it to the SUNY Orange Office of Veterans and Military Services at vetaffairs@sunyorange.edu.
  • Post-9/11 and Fry Scholarship - tuition and fee payments will be sent directly to SUNY Orange.
    Housing (MHA) and book stipends will be sent directly to the student.
  • DEA - payments will be sent to the student directly, not to SUNY Orange. Students are responsible for making payments arrangements for tuition and fees.
  • The VA will reimburse for the cost of approved licensing and certification tests up to $2,000 (e.g. CLEP).

New York State Family Benefits 

New York offers several benefit programs for spouses and/or dependents of veterans. Eligibility and application available online.

  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
  • MERIT Military Enhanced Recognition Incentive and Tribute
  • NYS Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
  • Apply annually with the FAFSA.