Ability to Benefit Test
The Ability to Benefit (ATB) test is a New York State requirement for anyone looking to apply for New York State financial aid who meets one of the following criteria:
- Earned a high school diploma from another country
- Earned a high school diploma from an online/correspondence school
- Earned an IEP diploma
- Earned a CDOS diploma or credential
- Earned a high school diploma from any institution not recognized by the State of New York
- Will not have earned a high school diploma or GED before beginning classes at SUNY Orange
This test is not a requirement to apply for SUNY Orange. It is only necessary if you fall into one of these situations and are looking to apply for New York State financial aid. Permanent residents and US citizens may qualify for New York State financial aid with a passing ATB score.
The Ability to Benefit Test (ATB) includes three sections: Math, Reading, and Sentence Skills. All sections are untimed. There is no charge to take the ATB test.