Frequently Asked Questions
When do I register for classes?
- New students must complete the New START workshop and meet with an advisor prior to registration.
- Continuing students registration for the Fall semester begins in April and registration for the Winter Interim, Spring & Summer semesters begins in November.
- Continuing students are required to meet with their assigned advisor to receive a registration PIN each semester in order to register online.
The Registrar's office can provide more information.
How do I change my schedule or Add / Drop a class?
- New students should meet with an advisor to complete an Add/Drop form and submit it at Student Services.
- Continuing students should use their registration PIN to make changes to their schedules until the end of the first week of the semester. After week 1, instructor and Department Chair permission is required along with an Add/Drop form submitted at Student Services.
- When you drop a class determines whether you receive a refund. Please see Student Accounts' Refund Policies page for further information.
- Changes made to your schedule after the semester begins may incur additional charges.
Is there a specific Advisor that I must see?
The name of your assigned Advisor is found in Degree Works.
After your first semester you'll be assigned an advisor from the faculty. If you changed your degree or have not been assigned an Advisor, please stop by the Academic Advising Office.
All students are required to consult with an advisor in order to register for classes.
What if I am an evening student and cannot meet with my Advisor during the day?
There are evening hours available at the Academic Advising Office.
Where should I go for advising when the Fall and Spring semesters have ended?
When Faculty Advisors are not readily available on campus (typically summer and winter breaks), students may come to the Academic Advising Office. Advisors will have limited availability to assist continuing students at this time. Please refer to our walk-in schedule.
How do I make sure that the courses I am taking are part of my degree?
Degree Works is your degree auditing application. Use it alongside a copy of your degree planning sheet from the college catalog.
To access Degree Works, login to your MySUNYOrange account then click on the link for Degree Works. Please review the "Degree Works Report" video posted on the Student Services/Resources tab. Students should meet with their assigned Advisor to discuss proper course sequencing.
When do I pay for the courses I am registered for?
How do I apply for financial aid?
The Financial Aid Office, located on the 3rd floor of the Shepard Center in Middletown or 1st floor of Kaplan Hall in Newburgh, has an assortment of material online or in person to help students and their families understand their FAFSA forms and loan information. Workshops are also offered to guide individuals through this process.
I am not sure what I want to do after college, where can I go to find career information?
Students can visit the webpage for Office of Career and Internship Services to perform a career interest inventory to identify a preferred career field based on personal values and interests.
Representatives available at both campuses can provide valuable information about job opportunities and career trends and conduct several workshops on different topics throughout the semester. Take advantage of this great resource!
How do I apply for graduation?
Fill out the Application for Graduation and submit it with payment at Student Services Central.