Facebook Ad Pixel Support for Undocumented and DACA Students, Admissions, SUNY Orange

Support for Undocumented and DACA Students

Orange County Community College (SUNY Orange) is committed to the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The College strives to build a welcoming environment that embraces the differences that make us each unique individuals who contribute to a vibrant, robust and respectful College community.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Temporary Protective Status, and Undocumented students are welcome at SUNY Orange. The College’s Admissions staff will assist students in completing the enrollment process and the College offers a wide menu of support services (outlined below) for DACA and undocumented students.

As a community of learners, our lives are informed by shared values of mutual respect, integrity in the pursuit of academic inquiry and a commitment to the highest standards of excellence in all that we do. We hope you decide to join our community.

You can go to college. Currently, there is no federal law preventing you from attending. SUNY does not - and will not - consider national origin or immigration status as a factor in admission. We encourage all students, regardless of citizenship status or national origin, to apply for admission, including undocumented and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) students graduating from U.S. high schools. 

Source: https://www.suny.edu/attend/get-started/undocumented

 DACA & Undocumented Students: Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a social security number in order to apply for college?

No. A social security number is not required to complete the application for admission.

Am I eligible for federal or state financial aid?

Under the Dream Act, undocumented students may be eligible for New York State administered grants and scholarships. You cannot receive federal aid unless you are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen

Do I qualify for the resident tuition rate?

You may be eligible for the resident tuition rate if you meet the following requirements:

  • You attended an approved New York State high school for two or more years, graduated from an approved New York State high school and applied for admission within five years of receiving a New York State high school diploma; or

  • You attended an approved New York State program for a General Equivalency Diploma (GED or TASC) exam preparation, received a GED or TASC diploma and applied for admission within five years of receiving the GED or TASC; and

  • You submit to the campus a notarized affidavit stating that you will file an application to legalize your immigration status as soon as you are eligible to do so. Note: The affidavit is not shared; the university will vigorously defend the privacy rights of students.* The affidavit is a simple form to complete and requires notarization. 

  • For your convenience there are Notaries available in Student Services Central on both campuses.

Am I eligible for the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)?  

U.S. citizenship is not a requirement for admission to EOP. However, you must meet New York State residency, income and academic requirements

Students under the New York Dream Act may be eligible to receive state aid including support from the EOP program.

May I apply to scholarships as an undocumented student?

My college requires students to complete the FAFSA to apply for institutional scholarships. If I have been granted DACA status and have received a social security number, can I complete the FAFSA?

Since you have a social security number, you can complete the FAFSA. There is no penalty for doing so, but undocumented students - including DACA recipients - are not eligible for federal aid. If you choose to complete the FAFSA, the Federal Student Aid office provides specific instructions for DACA students at: studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/financial-aid-and-undocumented-students.pdf.

Will I be eligible for payment plans?  

Yes. You can enroll in a payment plan.

Does my parents’ citizenship status affect my eligibility for federal student aid?

No. Your parents’ citizenship status doesn’t affect your eligibility for federal student aid.

On the FAFSA® form, how do I answer the question that reads, “Are you a U.S. citizen?”

DACA students must answer that question by selecting the option “No, I am not a citizen or eligible noncitizen.”

On the FAFSA® form, how do I submit my tax information?

If you are completing the FAFSA form online at fafsa.gov or through the myStudentAid mobile app and you filed your income tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you may be able to access your tax information through the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT). If you didn’t file an income tax return with the IRS, enter the requested financial information manually on the FAFSA website or through the myStudentAid mobile app. If completing the FAFSA form on paper, follow the instructions that detail how to answer the financial information questions