NYS TAP Grant and Scholarships
NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State. Depending on the academic year in which you begin study, an annual TAP award can be up to the amount of tuition (if eligible). Because TAP is a grant, it does not have to be paid back.
- Apply for TAP Now
- Award Amounts and Income Limits
- Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for Full-time Students
- Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) for Part-Time Students
- Repeated Coursework
Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
The Aid for Part-time Study (APTS) program provides grant assistance for eligible part-time students enrolled in approved undergraduate studies.
Due to funding limitations and the number of qualified applicants, coverage is limited to 3 to 11.5 credits. Students are selected on a first come first serve basis. Applications are placed in chronological order based on when the application and State of New York taxes are received.
Due to the recent changes of the Part Time TAP rules, students who previously had APTS may be eligible for Part Time Tap. You can not have both.
An applicant must:
- Complete the 2023-2024 NYS TAP application;
- be a legal resident of New York State and have resided in NYS for at least 12 continuous months prior to the start of the term;
- have graduated from a high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma by passing a Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC) formally known as a GED, or passed a federally approved "Ability to Benefit" test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
- be enrolled as a part-time student;
- be matriculated in an approved program of study in a participating New York State postsecondary institution;
- be in good academic standing;
- be charged at least $100 tuition per year;
- meet income eligibility limitations;
- not have exhausted Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) eligibility;
- not be in default on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or repayment of any NYS award and,
- be in compliance with the terms of any service condition imposed by a NYS award.
For this program, part-time study means being enrolled for at least:
- 3 but fewer than 12 semester hours per semester.
- 4 but fewer than 8 credit hours per trimester.
Eligibility for an APTS award is based on New York State net taxable income, Federal, State or local pension income and private pension and annuity income, if applicable, from the preceding calendar year.
- For students who were eligible to be claimed as tax dependents by their parents, family New York State NET taxable income may not exceed $50,550. Family income includes student AND parent income.
- For students who were not eligible to be claimed by their parents as tax dependents, their New York State NET taxable income (including spouse’s income) may not exceed $34,250. The spouse’s income must be included if they were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.
- For students who were not eligible to be claimed by their parents but were eligible to claim tax dependents other than self and/or spouse, their New York State NET taxable income (including spouse’s income) may not exceed $50,550. The spouse’s income must be included if they were married on or before December 31 of the previous calendar year.
For more information, visit: Aid For Part Time Study (APTS)
Instructions for Submitting the 2023-2024 APTS Application
- CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD the 2023-2024 APTS Application.
- Submit the application by either presenting it in-person, sending it by mail, or by submitting it online.*
- If submitting online, please use this link. (Select "APT" from dropdown menu)
To be considered for this award you must present both the application and NYS 2021 tax returns at the time of submission. Do not email tax documentation to our office as it contains Personal Identifiable Information (PII).
NYS Scholarship Opportunities
Scholarships are "free money" awarded based on various factors. Some may require certain conditions be met or have a service component.
(The College also offers scholarships through the SUNY Orange Foundation.)
- Flight 3407 Memorial Scholarship
- Flight 587 Memorial Scholarship
- Military Service Recognition Scholarship
- NYS Math and Science Incentive Scholarship
- NYS Memorial Scholarship for families of volunteer firefighters, police officers, peace officers, emergency medical service workers, deceased firefighters
- NYS Scholarships for Academic Excellence
- NYS World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship
- NYS Native American Award
- NYS Regents Award for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
- Veterans Tuition Award
- FASNY Tuition Reimbursement Program (FASNY HELP)
UPDATE (9/15/2020): Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, New York State is providing additional guidance and updates regarding all NYS Grant & Scholarships programs. Please check back daily for additional information.
The Excelsior Scholarship, in combination with other student financial aid programs, allows students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free.