Facebook Ad Pixel Private Alternative Loans

Private Alternative Loans

Private alternative loans are privately-funded loans available to students and parents. We strongly recommend that students utilize federal loan eligibility before applying for private loans.

SUNY Orange does not participate with a Preferred Lender List nor endorses/recommends any particular lender or loan product over another. SUNY Orange recommends that you file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) first before applying for private Alternative Loans.  We encourage utilizing all Federal Loan eligibility FIRST before applying for Private Alternative Loan Options!

The following websites offer a helpful comparison tool:

ELM Select (Opens in new window)

HESC - Private Student Loans (opens in new window)

Students and parents have the ability to select the loan lender of their choice - if you wish to use a lender not provided on this list, it is your right to do so.  

Students and parents may borrow up to the yearly cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. We encourage you to only borrow what you need for the academic year. 

Apply directly with the lender of your choice. 

  • This is a credit based loan which may require a cosigner.
  • A matriculated and non-matriculated student may qualify for an alternative loan.
  • Matriculated students must be enrolled in a degree credit bearing program and must file the FAFSA.
  • A non-matriculated student who is enrolled in a non-degree certificate program through the Continuing Education Department does not need to file a FAFSA to qualify for an alternative loan.
  • The Financial Aid administrator does the certification for all alternative loan requests. The certified amount may not exceed the student's cost of attendance.
  • For more information contact the financial aid office @ 845-341-4190.

NOTE: The identity of the student and cosigner are done through the issuing agency not through the College. If the student is a non-matriculated student, the financial aid administrator checks with Continuing Education to see if the student is enrolled in a certificate program through CE and/or with the Student Accounts Office or by reviewing the registration screen in Banner.

SUNY Orange encourages and recommends utilizing all Federal Loan eligibility FIRST before applying for Private Alternative Loan Options!

For more information about Federal Vs Private Loans: https://studentaid.gov/federal-vs-private